An attorney writes about stuff she'd rather be doing: cooking, eating, wining, dining and traveling.

Monday, August 4, 2008

The UItimate Stuffed Mushroom

I get requests for the recipe ALL. THE. TIME. Recipe was originally published in Bon Appetit in 2002. When I bring these to a party, they are gone within minutes. It's almost a waste of time to make them. However, I am a whore for validation, so once people are done stuffing their faces and the compliments start, I am secretly satisfied.

3 hot Italian sausage links (I've used turkey sausage, works fine)
1 tsp. oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1 package plain cream cheese (don't use light or fat-free - too runny)
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 egg yolk
Black pepper
2 small packages of white mushrooms, stemmed and cleaned
Small amount of dry white wine

Preheat oven to 400.

Remove sausages from casings, crumble and brown over medium heat.
Add oregano and garlic.

Mix cream cheese, egg and 1/2 c. parmesan in a bowl.
Add the sausage mixture and mix well.

Arrange mushroom caps in a baking dish and brush insides lightly with wine.
Stuff mushrooms with a scant 1 tbsp. of cheese-sausage mixture.
Sprinkle remaining parmesan over the top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until brown.**

**Note: The mushrooms seem to release a LOT of liquid while they bake. Using a slotted spatula to remove them from the dish and placing them on a cooling rack set over paper towels to cool for a couple minutes helps them to set up.

Another suggestion I recently received was to bake the mushrooms on the cooling rack, set over a baking sheet, and reduce the baking time by a couple of minutes. I have yet to try this method, but it sounds promising. I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I made them for a shower, and they're the best stuffed mushrooms I've had in ages. I used turkey Italian sausage, and I ended up with enough stuffing mixture for 3 small packages of mushrooms. I did cook them on wire rack on top of the baking sheet, for the full 20 minutes, and it worked out great.