An attorney writes about stuff she'd rather be doing: cooking, eating, wining, dining and traveling.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pimp My Fave Sushi Spot

I just spent the last 36 hours in business travel hell.

Trapped on a runway for 4+ hours, seat kicker, multiple screaming children, seatmates with bad B.O., lack of air conditioning, missed connections, two hour layovers stretched into four, having to pay for an empty seat on an earlier flight - and that's just the beginning. AND they wanted me to actually pay $7 for a glass of crap wine to dull the pain? Bitch, please.

I knew exactly what I needed upon my return to sweet home Chicago. The entire cab ride home from the airport I could only think three thoughts: (1) it's a good thing knives aren't allowed on planes; (2) must...shower...now; and (3) Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuushi. Sushi Mura!

We ordered in, but only because I had my fill of people for the week. Normally we go to the restaurant because they permit, nay ENCOURAGE, sake bombing. The chef, Hursan, will even come out, count you down and bomb with you.

The sushi is really good, and really cheap. Sure, this isn't Mirai. It's not Meiji. It's not Kaze. But for good, solid basics and a handful of creative rolls, you can't beat Sushi Mura at the price. Hey, it's way better than the overpriced garbage they call sushi at Japonais. Try the Mura Maki (salmon, hot pepper, zucchini, cream cheese, tempuraed), Crazy Maki (a little bit of everything), Double Decker Spicy Tuna (spicy tuna wrapped in tuna), and anything with unagi in it. Mr. LegalFoodie also enjoys the spider roll, but I'm allergic to shellfish, so I cannot confirm.

Sushi Mura is at 3647 N. Southport. Get to know Monica, the owner, and offer her boyfriend Hursan a few sake bombs, and they will treat you like old friends every time you come in.

No comments: